On Tue, 08 May 2012 15:55:36 -0400, Jerry <je...@seibercom.net> wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2012 15:34:02 +0100
Matthew Seaman articulated:

Sounds almost as if the my.cnf you've been editing is not the my.cnf
that your mysql instance is using.  IIRC there was some talk about
moving from the usual BSD-ish /var/db/mysql/my.cnf to
/usr/local/etc/my.cnf (no doubt under some insidious influence from
Linux.)

The first time I ever looked for "my.cnf" I had expected to find it in
"/usr/local/etc". Since so many configuration files are stored there,
it just seemed like a natural place for it to be located. IMHO, a
centralized repository for configuration files greatly simplifies
system maintenance.

Hence the reason almost all of my config files are symlinked in someway in /etc/

Call it a habit from spending much of my time using & working on Linux :p