On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:00:08 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> For the photo folks --
>
> What do you use for inspecting EXIF data?
> I've tried
>   exif
>   exiftags
>   exifprobe
> and none of them show the full compliment of tags present on my oly pen-ep3.
> In particular, they omit most of the vendor specific stuff,
> and they seem to display different parts of things, but not everything.

I've been using exiv2 (port graphics/exiv2) which fits my needs.
Here's an example of its output:

        % exiv2 cam/img_6842.jpg
        File name       : cam/img_6842.jpg
        File size       : 2887326 Bytes
        MIME type       : image/jpeg
        Image size      : 2816 x 2112
        Camera make     : Canon
        Camera model    : Canon PowerShot S3 IS
        Image timestamp : 2011:08:19 09:14:42
        Image number    : 120-6842
        Exposure time   : 1/50 s
        Aperture        : F2.7
        Exposure bias   : 0 EV
        Flash           : No, red-eye reduction
        Flash bias      : 0 EV
        Focal length    : 6.0 mm
        Subject distance: 68
        ISO speed       : 100
        Exposure mode   : Easy shooting (Auto)
        Metering mode   : Multi-segment
        Macro mode      : Off
        Image quality   : Fine
        Exif Resolution : 2816 x 2112
        White balance   : Auto
        Thumbnail       : image/jpeg, 5981 Bytes
        Copyright       :
        Exif comment    :

See "man exiv2" for details. It's a really versatile program
which can be excellently integrated into scripts.

In case you need more info from a photo file, use the "strings"
utility provided by the system and parse its output.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany