On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:23:47AM +0200, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 September 2012 22:29:45 Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >     how, with mtree, could I tell  whether dir1 == dir2 or not?
>
> From the manpage:
>
> ``The mtree utility compares the file hierarchy rooted in the
> current directory against a specification read from the standard
> input.  Messages are written to the standard output for any files
> whose characteristics do not match the specifications, or which
> are missing from either the file hierarchy or the specification.''
>
> So you run mtree twice, once against dir1 with the -c option to output the
> specification for the directory tree to stdout (which you can capture to a
> file, or pipe straight into the second invocation) and once against dir2 with
> the output of the first one as input (either in a pipeline, or by using -f
> with the filename of the captured output).
>
> Jonathan

        I'm having unexpected troubles with my old BSD server.  ...

        I've seen Waitman's examples, and your paragraphs above--[thankx, both
        of you, BTW].  I'Ve got several hours of piecing the fragments of my
        original *desktop* back together.  Following that, I'll be back.

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.