Quick question about portupgrade's support for pkgng.

The /usr/ports/UPDATING says:
20121015:
  AFFECTS: users of ports-mgmt/portupgrade
  AUTHOR: bdrew...@freebsd.org

Portupgrade now supports pkgng. To use pkgng, enable it in your make.conf,
  and convert your databases.

  This is optional and not currently required.

  # make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg install clean
  # echo 'WITH_PKGNG=yes' >> /etc/make.conf
  # pkg2ng
  # pkgdb -fu

Having done all of the above, I ran portupgrade to update all the pkgs that needed upgrading on my system, and got the message below:
root@box0:/root/tmp # portupgrade -varRP --batch -L '%s_%s'
USING PKGNG
Packages are not yet suported. Use pkg(8) directly.

That doesn't sound like portupgrade supports pkgng, or did I misread the message in the UPDATING file?

box0=; uname -a
FreeBSD box0.my.domain 9.1-RC2 FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 #0 r241133: Tue Oct 2 17:11:45 UTC 2012 r...@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Thanks.

Alexander Kapshuk.