On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

I can't backup the whole HDDs :(. I backup some data from HDD1 to HDD2
and te other data from HDD2 to HDD1.

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 13:43 -0700, Warren Block wrote:
Assuming the first slice has been deleted.

Correct.

# gpart add -t freebsd -i1 ada0

Create a FreeBSD disklabel/bsdlabel partitioning scheme inside the
FreeBSD slice:

# gpart create -s bsd da0s1

Create FreeBSD partitions.  Sizes may be adjusted, but these will work.

# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 2g   da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-swap -a 4k -s 512m da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 1g   da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 256m da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k         da0s1

After you have done all this, you can go back and use the Partition
selection in bsdinstall to enter types and mountpoints for each.  Or you
can newfs each and then mount them, setting the location in
BSDINSTALL_CHROOT.

I would prefer to continue with the installer.

However, I guess for my needs just / is needed, so I guess

# gpart add -t freebsd-swap -a 4k -s 512m da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k         da0s1

I think we just found in another thread that the UFS partition must be first, but it will have to have a size stated.

512m (it doesn't matter to use m or M?) is enough swap? I've got 4GB
RAM. On Linux I use 2 swaps each around 2GB, but they are not much used.

Use more if you like. It will not hurt, and might be useful in some situations. The "m" or "g" is not case-sensitive.

So the command above to allocate 40G for a filesystem and the rest to swap would be

# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 40g da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-swap -a 4k -s     da0s1

Bootcode might also be needed on the FreeBSD slice, but I have not used grub, so don't know for sure.