On Sat, 8 Dec 2012, per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:

Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

one of the remaining problems --hopefuully the Last-- with my
Dell 3010 quad i5 is that the resolution stops at 5:4.  it's
something like 1280x1014 ...

Probably 1280x1024 -- a common size before widescreen.
The largest commonly seen back then was 1600x1200.

... whereas my widescreen Dell needs 1920x1280 or close to that.

Probably 1920x1200.

do I need to go out and find a videocard?  or is there a way of
taking my 6GB of RAM and giving it to the video?

Dunno about currently-supported versions, nor your particular
display hardware, but 1920x1200 works for me on an ancient Dell
Optiplex GX1 with ATI Mach64 under 6.1.  Maybe something in the
(attached) conf and/or log will help.

Core i5 has new Intel graphics, which needs 9.1 or 9-stable for the KMS support, a couple of entries in make.conf, and the newer xorg.

http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=187947&postcount=3

If you don't do that, xorg will use the vesa driver, which supports only a few common resolutions, usually not widescreen ones.