Hi,

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:41:10 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I followed http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html
> > to create bootable disks with GPT.
> >
> > As you know from my former post, I tried to boot via USB from a GPT
> > disk and failed. I inserted the disk into the notebook and bootin
> > also failed.
> >
> > Irony is that inserting the MBR disk into the USB case results also
> > in a failure but much later.
>
> What failure?

'GEOM_PART integrity check failed (da0 MBR)'

It is obviously not a problem with the disk as the disk worked again
after being put back into the notebook.

I did another test with a fresh FreeBSD 9.0 installation on an USB
disk. It is the same story. The loader is not found and the system does
not boot. It seems to me that my notebook is not able to boot on the
combination out of USB and GPT.

I will do later some more testing. It all would work for me if the
machine boots with MBR. The only thing which irritates me is the fact
that it started last year from the GPT formatted disk in the USB case.
Of course, it also started from this disk when it was in the notebook.

It still could be that I have overwritten something which comes after
the loader but I cannot imagine that I have changed the loader by
chance. But - as we all know - things happen.

Erich