I destroyed my zpool but forgot to take the tar backup of /home folder. I was
wondering if there's any way to restore the zpool? This was a single-HDD
pool.

zpool import -D  shows the poolname but also shows that pool is unavailable
and faulted.
zdb commands give "no records available for poolname"
The zpool command also shows the missing device by its ID number.  I have
left the HDD in the untouched state, and I am hopng that zpool may accept
the HDD if I can figure out a way to pass the device number zpool is looking
for to the GPT partition (or whatever ID mechanism zpool looks for) on the
original HDD.

Is there a way to do all that with ZFS?

Thanks for any help.