I can work around this by downloading the files with clive and watching
with mplayer, but I'd like to make this work again.

To be honest, this is really the best solution for all platforms, win/mac/bsd/etc. I don't have flash installed on any of my machines: I use a plugin that downloads the mp4 and auto opens it in a local video player. This always works, you can jump/rewind without constant buffering, you don't have to deal with ads, and you don't have to deal with flash maxing out your cpu for no reason.