On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Sasha and Tanya Kapshuk wrote:

I am running the GENERIC kernel. I can see that the wlan and ath pieces are compiled into the kernel, so I removed the ath lines from /boot/loader.conf.

I seem to have done everything right, but it still doesn't work.

'ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0' creates wlan0.

'wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' produces  no output.

dhclient wlan0 says no link .... giving up.

What am I doing wrong?

First, check the easy things: is there a physical switch to enable wireless? Is it on?

Please post the output of 'ifconfig -a'.

Until 'ifconfig wlan0 list scan' produces a list of visible access points, there's not much reason to run wpa_supplicant or dhclient.