On 06/08/2013 09:33 PM, Warren Block wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Sasha and Tanya Kapshuk wrote:

On 06/08/2013 09:03 PM, Warren Block wrote:

Howdy,

Been trying to setup wireless on a laptop with an Atheros 5424/2424 card running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE.

Been following the instructions given in the handbook.

Running 'ifconfig wlan0 up scan' does not seem to return anything. What am I doing wrong?

That should be 'ifconfig wlan0 up list scan'.
Tried that. Still no output.

I see that my card being identified as AR2425 is supported by the ath_hal(4) module. How do I enable it?

Both are built into the GENERIC kernel. If you've built a custom kernel, you'll have to load them in /boot/loader.conf.

Here's whta I've got in my /etc/rc.conf:

if_ath_load="YES"
if_ath_pci_load="YES"

Right, but those go in /boot/loader.conf. Not needed if you're using the GENERIC kernel, though.

ifconfig says 'no carrier' for wlan0.

Here's my "short form" wireless article:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/wireless.html

dmesg|grep wlan0

wlan0:    promiscuous mode enabled
wlan0:    promiscuous mode disabled