On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, John wrote:

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:21:02AM -0700, Dennis Glatting wrote:

Today I updated several systems against stable/9 that had not bee updated
in ~five months. Two of the systems are serviced by LSI 2008 controllers
with a RAID1 array housing the operating system.

These systems no longer properly boot.

Specifically, they begin the boot process but bomb when they try to mount
root. Neither system sees the GPT partitions of the boot disk at the
"mountroot>" prompt. On one system I replaced the hard disks,
repartitioned, and reinstalled but the problem continued.

I don't see any mention of geom or controller update in UPDATING but I
know they have been updated because I saw their revisions fly actross my
screen during the svn update. Also, I am running IR vers 16 on my
controllers, which is the latest version of LSI firmware.

Is there some new action I have to take to sucessfully boot LSI disks
against the updated kernel?

Hi, does it use the mfi driver? Because that has been updated. There was
an errata notice about it on the 22nd August concerning mfi in JBOD
mode and disks >2TB

(typing by hand)

mps0: <LSI SAS2008> port 0xb0000-0xb0ff mem ....
mps0: Firmware: 16.00.00.00, Driver: 16.00.00.00-fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities: 185c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,IR>

The system I am sitting in front of, appears NOT to see the RAID1 disk but does see the two non-RAID disks. All disks are 1TB Seagate ST31000424SS.

The second system, which is remote and I cannot view its console from here, has two 250GB disks RAID1.