On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:16:50PM -0700 or thereabouts, cp seemed to write:
> > You should *really* use 'make buildkernel' in the toplevel if you're
> > combining it with a world update. Recommended procedure:
> > ~# cvsup /my/5.1.supfile
> > ~# cd /usr/src
> > /usr/src# make buildworld
> > /usr/src# make buildkernel KERNCONF=<yourKERNELname>
> > /usr/src# make installkernel KERNCONF=<yourKERNELname>
> > /usr/src# reboot
> > OK boot -s
> > # fsck -p && mount -a
> > # ( cd /usr/src && make installworld )
> > # reboot
> > OK boot
> >
> > Also read chapter 21 of the Handbook.
>
> I have a related question on this if you would permit.
> I just did the same thing (5.0->5.1), I started to follow
> the handbook but became concerned in reading posts
> on the subject that suggested to installworld prior to
> building the kernel and booting. I also do not have
> access to the console in any convenient manner so I
> knew that it would never come back from
> the boot (it would be a week before I could then
> get it up). So I did this:
>
> cvsup (src=all) RELENG_5_1
> buildworld
> installworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=MINE
>
> At this point, it won't complete the kernel build and is
> showing signs of being unusable (e.g. "ipfw show" just
> dumps core). Is it too late to correct this or is a
> reinstall and reconfigure next week the only option left?

I ran into the same thing once. Alas, there is no "uninstallworld"
target :-)

You *may* be able to get the system usable again, by doing a
"upgrade" (from sysinstall) back to your old version. If that
works, then build the kernel, install it, reboot, then installworld
and all should be A-OK. But that's only if you're lucky.

-- Josh