On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:32:16PM -0700, Joshua Oreman typed:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:16:50PM -0700 or thereabouts, cp seemed to write:
> > > You should *really* use 'make buildkernel' in the toplevel if you're
> > > combining it with a world update. Recommended procedure:
> > > ~# cvsup /my/5.1.supfile
> > > ~# cd /usr/src
> > > /usr/src# make buildworld
> > > /usr/src# make buildkernel KERNCONF=<yourKERNELname>
> > > /usr/src# make installkernel KERNCONF=<yourKERNELname>
> > > /usr/src# reboot
> > > OK boot -s
> > > # fsck -p && mount -a
> > > # ( cd /usr/src && make installworld )
> > > # reboot
> > > OK boot
> > >
> > > Also read chapter 21 of the Handbook.
> >
> > I have a related question on this if you would permit.
> > I just did the same thing (5.0->5.1), I started to follow
> > the handbook but became concerned in reading posts
> > on the subject that suggested to installworld prior to
> > building the kernel and booting. I also do not have
> > access to the console in any convenient manner so I
> > knew that it would never come back from
> > the boot (it would be a week before I could then
> > get it up). So I did this:
> >
> > cvsup (src=all) RELENG_5_1
> > buildworld
> > installworld
> > make buildkernel KERNCONF=MINE
> >
> > At this point, it won't complete the kernel build and is
> > showing signs of being unusable (e.g. "ipfw show" just
> > dumps core). Is it too late to correct this or is a
> > reinstall and reconfigure next week the only option left?
>
> I ran into the same thing once. Alas, there is no "uninstallworld"
> target :-)
>
> You *may* be able to get the system usable again, by doing a
> "upgrade" (from sysinstall) back to your old version. If that
> works, then build the kernel, install it, reboot, then installworld
> and all should be A-OK. But that's only if you're lucky.

You *might* also get away with the following procedure:

- move /boot/kernel to /boot/kernel.old
- tar up the /boot/kernel directory from another machine running
5.1-RELEASE (preferably a GENERIC kernel) and untar on your problem
machine
- reboot

Ruben

> -- Josh
>

> > Thanks,
> > a different Chris than started this thread

"Irrationality is the square root of all evil"
                -- Douglas Hofstadter