> Hello,
>
> I need to grant a user access to a database. How can I do it?
>
> This is what I've tried:
>
> mysql> grant all on databasename.* to username;
>
> I got no error messages, but I after connecting as the user, I couldn't use the
> database.

Connect as the (MySQL) root user and take a look at the "mysql" database.
Note that passwords are assigned, not to just a user name, but to the
combination of user and host.

MySQL has their own mailing lists, with archives available at marc and
other places, BTW.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Kansai Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan