On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:50:12AM -0500, Matthew Bettinger wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2003 10:44 am, Matt Heath wrote:
> > >I've had a recurring issue with Mozilla and Firebird (was Phoenix):
> > >The browsers will stall in a seemingly non-deterministic fashion.
> >
> > I get that too
>
> My mozilla will hang for a few minutes when I enter a url in the
> location bar.  If I fire it up and click on the link that are already
> there it's fine.  The moment I try to type a new URL in the bar it just
> hangs.  I am using the nvidia drivers on bsd 4.8.  Never had a problem
> (that I can recall) until I installed the nvidia drivers..  could be
> wrong tho.

I you go into Mozilla preferences, under Advanced : Keyboard
Navigation and disable Find As You Type, then you'll avoid the several
minutes of hang the first time you try and type into a text field or
the location bar.  Presumably the same trick would work with Firebird,
but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a control for disabling
that "feature".

I don't think this has anything to do with the video hardware or
drivers you're using -- I guess that was just a coincidence.  You must
have installed or upgraded Mozilla around the same time.  This pausing
thing was introduced around the same time as Mozilla 1.3 was released.
It's not just FreeBSD that suffers either.  There have been bug
reports in Mozilla's Bugzilla DB for some time, but the problem still
persists.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way