On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:41:01 -0700, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:37:48PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
I recently ordered and received the 4-CD set of FBSD 5.1.

I had presumed that this would give me a pretty complete desktop setup.
Alas, I was wrong. A lot of very commmon apps are missing, such as
Xemacs and Mplayer. It's disappointing. I only have a dialup modem. I
don't have broadband and have no hope of getting it where I live, so I
was counting on the 4-CD set to fill in the gaps.

[snip]

Another possibility is to do what I do with my 28.8K dialup - let big stuff run overnight. I just built XFree86 last night, in fact. The package for OpenOffice was an overnight download as well. I don't know as I would want to build the entire KDE or GNOME environments like this, but I've always preferred lighter weight applications (Blackbox, Windowmaker, XFCE4) anyway. Java is a bit of a bugger, since you can't just let it run - have to answer questions along the way. On the other hand, the same licensing requirements that necessitate this prevent it from being distributed on a FreeBSD CD, at least as I understand it.

As you noted, it's based on 4.6, so the contents are a year old.  If
you don't mind getting year-old versions of ports, then go for it.

Kris

Is there a possibility that some of the older ports may not build or run on top of 5.x?

Jud