On Saturday 19 July 2003 02:57 pm, Denis wrote:
> I am beginner in FreeBSD.
> I had installed FreeBSD 5.1 Release, but I don't here sounds....
> I use Creative SBLive! sound card.
> It sound card work successfully in WindowsXP, but in FreeBSD....
> My friend sad that I must recompile system.... But I don't know how
> I can do it. Tell me please what I must do know?

The 5.1 kernel doesn't enable sound by default. You just have to
rebuild the kernel, which you can do by following the instructions on
this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

As long as you're careful it'll go fine. All I had to do was copy the
generic kernel config file, add a "device pcm" line to the custom
config file, and rebuild the kernel using the config file.

It's not hard if you take your time.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net