Historically, Netscape has not supported encrypted (even if it is weak) authentication for imap and pop3. Slowly, they add standards as people complain. I'm sure the mozilla project is no different. I know for a fact that early builds of mozilla did not support cram md5.

Basically, webmail and mozilla are sending clear text authentication. Pine is a bit smarter and uses cram md5. Look through the pine preferences and see if you can downgrade it to clear text. If not, there is probably a compile option to use cleartext. (thats how they do it in imapd at least)