As the original poster of this thread I feel compelled to provide some more
information.

I am running FreeBSD 5.0 that I obtained through the FreeBSD Unleased book I
purchased from Barnes & Noble.

Here is a numerated list of more:

1. Sony VAIO PCG-GRX550 laptop.
2. 40gb hard drive
3. 512mb RAM.
4. The video adapter is a Mobility Raadeon 7500 with 32mb of video memory.

When I boot up FreeBSD and do ls -al on the /dev directory I do have
busmouse or psm0 in the directory. Someone in an earlier reply to my post
said this means that I do not have psm0 support in my kernel.

Therefore, I am in the process of researching building a custom kernel that
will include support for the PS/2 mouse.

I must admit that I am rather surprised that an advanced OS such as FreeBSD
does not include support for PS/2 in its generic configuration.

DJ