We have a test machine setup with FreeBSD v5.1. We're using the default XFree for 5.1. The machine is a PentiumPro 200 with 160MB RAM and a S3 VirgeGX video card.

X-Windows displays beautifully, but the mouse is extremely sluggish. We've tried the Microsoft mouse that came with the computer, and we've tried a Logitech mouse, the same as we use on all of our other FreeBSD machines. Both PS/2 mice behave the same (on screen). The on-screen behavior of the mouse pointer makes it seem like the pointer is not updating but every second or two - because other on-screen focus changes happen before the mouse pointer moves to where the focus change happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to resolve this mouse pointer issue?

Thanks,

Peter Biessener
Hirshfield's, Inc.

P.S. The test machine is the best machine we have on hand which is free for testing.