I wiish to retire a rather aging Linux box which has been providing
(amongst other things) access to a Novell file server.

The new box has has FreeBSD 4.8 installed and I have recompiled
the kernel with:
  options "IPX"
  options "NCP"

And appended to rc.conf
  ifconfig_rl0_ipx="ipx 0x0000001B"
  ipxgateway_enable="YES"
  ipxrouted_enable="YES"

rl0 is also configured for an inet address and ifconfog reports
 rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::250:fcff:fea8:3e08%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        ipx 1b.50fca83e08
        ether 00:50:fc:a8:3e:08
        status: active

The problem is that I have not been able to get any of the utilities to find
the server:

central:202> ipxping PHILHEND
ipxping: could not find server PHILHEND
: syserr = Network is down

central:203> ncplist s
Can't find any file server

Am I doing something stupid?
Am I overlooking something?

Can anyone please help or suggest how I might proceed?

Malcolm Kay