On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:05:19 -0700, Harry Veltman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

After installing FreeBSD 4.8 into an unpartitioned free-space, it states
that the installation was successful, but when I start the computer and
press F3 to load FreeBSD instead of NT 4, it finally wants me to enter my
user name and password. After doing so, it displays a "$" sign and a
blinking space which waits for me to enter a command, but I have no clue
what it wants me to enter. If I enter / is states "permission is denied."
Installation instructions state "always restore the BIOS to natural drive
numbering before installing FreeFSD..." Will you please tell me how to do
that? I can't find a clue in BIOS Setup or in Windows. Could that have
anything to do with my problem getting FreeBSD to load? I installed it from
a CD-ROM I bought. I've spent two days re-installing it several times and
trying different things. I have read part of the FreeBSD Handbook about
installation. On a previous installation, it stated "WARNING: / was not
properly dismounted," but my recent installation gave no such warning or
error messages. Installing FreeBSD is very frustrating. I'm trying to find
a good, cheap OS as an alternative to buying a new Apple with OS X Jaguar,
or
upgrading my NT 4 to Windows 2000. I thought FreeBSD might be the solution
after reading about it, but it doesn't work.

You've installed it successfully and it *is* working. That blinking cursor is waiting for you to give it a valid command. You see, FreeBSD itself doesn't include a GUI (graphical user interface). Think of it as being like MS-DOS. What you want, I think, is a GUI or "desktop." To do that, during the installation choose to install GNOME or KDE (or Windowmaker, if it's still offered). Then have a look at the following:

If this strikes you as too much work just to be able to have a desktop to work with, hey, that's fine - different strokes for different folks, and all that. On the other hand, if you're interested and want to learn more, try to read as much of the Web documentation as you can (start with the Handbook, <URL: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html>) and come back to this list if you have questions.

Jud