Does anyone know what this command, route delete default, did? After using it the box reboots but will not go online so I can log in remotely as this is not an on premise box. I need to tell the tech's what I need done in order to repair it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From: Nils Vogels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IP Problems
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:20:12 +0200

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 07:00:32PM -0400, Ben Dover (BD) wrote:
BD> OK, this is difficult to explain and my problem is probably bigger than
BD> what I have found but here goes. I have a dedicated 5.1 FreeBSD box and
BD> when I did a dmesg I received a repeating message as follows:
BD> arplookup 66.246.xx.1 failed: host is not on local network

I've had the same message multiple times when my default route would be equal
to the IP number of an interface of the box on a 4.8-REL box.

For instance:

Interface xl0 has IP address 192.168.2.2/24 configured on it locally
Interface rl0 has IP address 10.0.5.1/24 configured on it locally

The default route of the box is set to 192.168.2.2

This would cause a loop displaying the exact error message on the console, and
the box would become dead slow.

This for me was solved by simply typing:

route delete default

HTH & HAND

--
Simple guidelines to happiness:
Work like you don't need the money,

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL POSTING

OK, this is difficult to explain and my problem is probably bigger than what I have found but here goes. I have a dedicated 5.1 FreeBSD box and when I did a dmesg I received a repeating message as follows:
arplookup 66.246.xx.1 failed: host is not on local network
This peaked my curiosity so I pinged the bank of IP's I have in the range of that IP and I was able to ping them with a response.
Something quick I can do to test to see if the IP will bind is compile an IRC bouncer. I found the bouncer would not bind to the IP 66.246.xx.185 as a normal account user and the bouncer would not function. If I SU to root and start the bouncer the IP would bind and the bouncer would function correctly. It should be noted that the bouncer was compiled as the normal account user.
I have two different sets of IP's on my box and I have added them in the rc.conf in the following way:
ifconfig_sis0_alias10="inet 209.123.xx.200 netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_sis0_alias11="inet 66.246.xx.185 netmask 255.255.255.255"
Do I have the IP's added wrong in rc.conf? What am I doing wrong? Why do I receive the dmesg which appears to be an error? Any assistance would be appreciated.