(B----- Original Message -----
(BFrom: "Chuck Swiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(BTo: "lukek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(BCc: "FreeBSD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(BSent: Monday, August 25, 2003 12:50 AM
(BSubject: Re: Is this disk toast ?
(B
(B
(B> lukek wrote:
(B> > I have tried re-formatting this disk and even whacked it into a winblows
(Bbox
(B> > with the hope of writing out another partition table but no luck thus
(Bfar.
(B> >
(B> > Can someone give me some ideas on what to do about this ?
(B>
(B> Start my making sure your machine has the latest BIOS flashed, then check
(B> whether you can set the drive to "LBA" mode rather than, say, "auto".  If
(Byour
(B> hardware is having problems identifying the drive geometry properly, this
(Bmay
(B> help.  Then use /stand/sysinstall to repartition the disk, although you
(Bcould
(B> also use FDISK from DOS as a last resort.  Sometimes creating a small
(B(10MB) DOS
(B> partition before installing FreeBSD also helps resolve disk geometry
(Bproblems.
(B>
(B> [ If you can't partition the drive even via MS-DOS' FDISK, you most likely
(Bhave
(B> a hardware problem. ]
(B>
(B
(BI think the problem has turned out to be more fundamental than a bios issue.
(BAfter fiddling around for a while I go the disk
(Breporting the right size in the bios but my issues still persist. I am
(Btrying to create a vinum stripe of 200gb using three 80gb drives.
(BWhat is happening is that once I get the bios right and vinum creates the
(Barray without error I then try to copy a very large dir to this machine
(Busing
(Brsync. Just because I am cursed the server then freezes, I mean nothing, no
(Bkeyboard at the terminal ssh connections die kind of die.
(BI have fooled around with these disks and am at wits end with it.  The
(Bdrives are set for LBA FWIW. I cannot see why this cp dies on me. If it were
(Bone bad disk then I could replace it but as things stand every disk now
(Bstands suspect ;-(
(B
(BLukeK
(B
(B
(B[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list
(Bhttp://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
(BTo unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"