Welcome to nightmaresville. I struggled with this for yonks, and found that there were some other files that needed to be setup, e.g.:

ajax# cd /usr/local/lib/sasl2
ajax# cat Cyrus.conf
pwcheck_method: saslauthd
ajax#

There is at least one other one, and I'm trying to find it!

Are you getting any trace out that you can post? I'd agree with you that it doesn't seem to be contacting the database. If you have a log against mysql, you could check this from the database end.

In my view, the docs for Cyrus fall a long way short of what is really needed!

Cheers,

Jon Mercer

Johan Paul wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone managed to get the Cyrus imapd to authenticate with pam_mysql
-authentication?

In /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf I have:
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

...among other things.

I am running saslauthd with pam authentication:
silakka# ps xa |grep saslauthd
  258  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd1 -a pam

This is what I have in my /etc/pam.conf:

# Mail services
imap    auth sufficient pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=uBerSecRETPASS
host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

imap    account required pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=uBerSecRETPASS
host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

The problem, I think, is the service column. The authentication is done
via PAM since when I change the password for my shell account the mail
password is changed too. But saslauthd uses some other service to
authenticate, not imap and thus not pam_mysql. Why doesn't it reconize the
above lines for Cyrus?

I am running FreeBSD 4.8R

This is giving me serious headache :) Thanks in advance for any clues!!

Regards,

Johan Paul

|         ___                  ___                               |
|        /   |                |  /                               |
|       / /| |                / /                                |
|      / / | |     _____     / /      ____      ____     ___     |
|     / /__| |    / ___ \   / /__    / __ \    / _  |   |  /__   |
|                         www.achean.com                         |
| Jon Mercer                               [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Mobile                                            07973 256496 |
| Tel.                                              0117 9561211 |
| Fax                                               0117 9565637 |