Hi Bjarne,

I do not believe you need it. I am running XMMS under KDE with no arts
plugin without any problems at all.

You don't *need* it, but xmms will lock the sound-device while playing and thus hindering kde-apps using it. One solution is to use vchans, but it sound *awfull* with my HW. An arts-plugin to xmms would be really nice, but I never got the plugin working apart from crashing everythin IIRC.

You can start every sound application with a preceding "artsdsp". So e.g. call xmms with artsdsp xmms &

This will wrap the xmms sound to the arts daemon, without blocking.
Look at:
http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdemultimedia/artsbuilder/artsdsp.html

Ciao Siegbert