"fbsd_user" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I know that the FBSD handbook gives the reader the impression that
> IPFW is the only firewall available to FBSD, but that is a false
> impression. FBSD has IPFILTER which is also a built in firewall.

PF is also in ports, which is interesting. That's appealing because it
provides an option to use tables rather than lists. I've heard good
thinks about IPF.

> like IPFW and the netbsd firewall IPF has been ported to FBSD so
> there other options. I have used both IPFW and IPFILTER, IPFW's keep
> state rules do not function correctly on a DSL or cable internet
> connection, it has just been upgraded in FBSD 5.2 with a lot fluff
> that does nothing but confuses the general user.

I'm interested to hear what the problem is with IPFW and keep-state,
they have been working fine here, as far as I can tell.

 I have never used IPFW with ppp, but it looks like the original
poster needs to provide a natd_interface, so that a divert rule gets
enabled. Note that all the addresses he uses on his lan were RFC1918
ones.

sdb
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]