Alex,
If it was just Unix operating systems, I'd suggest talk/ytalk between two people.
Since you say some maybe Windows clients, and the thought crossed my mind that it may
be several people, consider setting up a local ircd server. Some may want to use IM
clients. Most, if not all, of those require authentication outside your LAN.
-Otterr