I've got an older Dell Latitude (CPi) laptop that I'm trying to
setup as a router/firewall/??? machine.  I'm using 5.1-R with a
compiled kernel that I'm slowly reducing to the minimum I need.

I decided to try using usb ethernet adapters since they seemed
so easy.  However, the laptop only has one usb port.  So, I
picked up a cheap 4 port hub so I could connect my two adapters
(both netgear FA120 devices).

The boot log shows that both devices are recognized.  However,
only one gets configured properly (it gets an address and
actually works).  The other adapter can't be configured (at
boot time or on the command line).  This is whether the devices
are plugged in before booting or after.  If I try to remove
either of them after booting I usually get a kernel panic and
a reboot.

Am I trying to do something that can't be done (do I need two
physical ports on the machine for this to work)?  Is this
merely a bug in 5.1 that would be fixed if I go to 'CURRENT'?
Does anyone have any comments?  For completeness I'm appending
the relevant lines from my config.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device          axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet