Hello,

mergemaster will take care of /etc. But how about the other configuration files?,
Could you please tell me where i can find proper documentation for upgrading
freebsd4.5 to 4.8.

Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:13:59AM -0700,
Naveen Glore wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a freeBSD 4.5-Release server. I could not find any packages available for 4.5
> version at freebsd ftp site. So i decided to upgrade it to FreeBSD 4.8-Release. Can
> i upgrade the server without any change in its current configuration.

There are always changes to the configuration files in /etc as part of
the ongoing development of FreeBSD. One of the upgrade steps is to
run the mergemaster utility, which lets you merge in these changes
into your existing configuration files. Please read the associated
documentation, and remember to make a full backup before attempting
any upgrades.

Kris