Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
There's nothing special that you *need* to do for restoring to a Vinum
volume.  There are, however, things that are important when restoring
system components.  In particular, if you restore /usr/lib you'll
replace the C library /usr/lib/libc.so.  It's then possible to crash
dynamically linked processes (since they no longer have libraries),
after which you could be left with a mainly unusable system.

Vinum offers a solution to this problem, as you've noted: detach a
plex from each volume and restore to it.  Then do some magic in single
user mode to remove the other plex and attach the one you've just
restored to.  I'm not quite sure about the best way of doing this.
I'll think about it, but if anybody else has suggestions for doing
this with the least chance of shooting yourself in the foot, I'd be
interested to hear them.

Greg

I have tried different approaches a few times, but not only did I shoot myself in the foot, I blew away everything from the neck down.
If there is a safe way to accomplish this, I would love a step-by-step howto or examples from someone that has actually accomplished this with a positive result.