On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:04:39 -0400, Robert H. Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello,

I'm making plans to upgrade from 4.7 RELEASE to 4.8 RELEASE. My previous attempt was a binary upgrade from 4.5 to 4.7 which did not go very well. I eventually purchased the 4.7 CD. The FreeBSD Handbook stresses backing up the system and implies that /dump/ is a better backup program. Chapter 12.9.8.1 of the handbook recommends having a copy of the boot and fixit floppies available and making sure they have all your devices, otherwise you'll need to prepare two bootable custom floppies that contain /fdisk, disklabel, newfs, mount, /and your backup program. It goes on to say that these programs must be statically linked. I understand hard and soft links but I'm not familiar with static links. The handbook also provides a script for creatinng a bootable floppy.

Can someone help me understand static link? Secondly, can I assume that the script must be reviewed for likely modifications? I'm just learning shell programming and if significant modifications are necessary, I may end up purchasing a CD for 4.8.

Any suggestions relative to the upgrade process is also appreciated.

Unless there is a specific reason not to do so, cvsup and make world would seem to be an easier and altogether better way to go for an upgrade from one minor version number to the next. Many users do this quite routinely (e.g., I do it once every week or two). See <URL: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html#CUTTING-EDGE-SYNOPSIS>. While this section of the Handbook talks about the "cutting edge" development branches, -CURRENT and -STABLE, the same process can be used to upgrade to a -RELEASE.

Jud