I am having trouble combining the tar and find command. I want to tar and
delete all .bak,.Bak,.BAK files.

I am using the following command but keep receiving errors. The tar command
appears to be receiving a truncated file/path (some of the time, but not
always), and trying to procecss the file as two files.

Any help on this would be great.

The script is as follows
#! /bin/bash
set +x
TAR_DIR=/home/tarbackups;
FILES_DIR=/home/common;
tar --remove-files -cvzpf $TAR_DIR/bak_files_`date +%F`.tar.gz\
  `find $FILES_DIR -xdev -type f -iname "*.bak"`;
The -xdev is to not desend into an external smb-mounted drive to a
subdirectory.

I have also tried substituting single quotes for the double quotes around the
*.bak

Here is some error output returned:

tar: jobs/ROOF: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: LAYOUTS/RESIDENTIAL/FRASER/219: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: LEWIS: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: CRES.bak: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: /home/technical/nfsapc30-my_documents/1999: Cannot stat: No such file or
directory
tar: jobs/ROOF: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: LAYOUTS/RESIDENTIAL/FRASER/THODE: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: RES.bak: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

Thanks,

--
Scott A. Gerhardt, P.Geo.
Gerhardt Information Technologies