On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:43:50PM -0600, Scott Gerhardt wrote:

> I am having trouble combining the tar and find command.  I want to tar
> and
> delete all .bak,.Bak,.BAK files.
>
> I am using the following command but keep receiving errors.  The tar
> command
> appears to be receiving a truncated file/path (some of the time, but not
> always), and trying to procecss the file as two files.
>
> Any help on this would be great.
>
> The script is as follows
> #! /bin/bash
> set +x
> TAR_DIR=/home/tarbackups;
> FILES_DIR=/home/common;
> tar --remove-files -cvzpf $TAR_DIR/bak_files_`date +%F`.tar.gz\
>   `find $FILES_DIR -xdev -type f -iname "*.bak"`;
> The -xdev is to not desend into an external smb-mounted drive to a
> subdirectory.
>
> I have also tried substituting single quotes for the double quotes
> around the
> *.bak
>
> Here is some error output returned:
>
> tar: jobs/ROOF: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: LAYOUTS/RESIDENTIAL/FRASER/219: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: LEWIS: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: CRES.bak: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: /home/technical/nfsapc30-my_documents/1999: Cannot stat: No such
> file or
> directory
> tar: jobs/ROOF: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: LAYOUTS/RESIDENTIAL/FRASER/THODE: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: RES.bak: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

The problem is that you have file/directory names like 'ROOF LAYOUTS'
which contain spaces and possibly other filenames containing
characters with syntactic significance to the shell.

Try:

    find $FILES_DIR -xdev -type f -iname "*.bak -print0 | \
        xargs -0 tar --remove-files -cvzpf $TAR_DIR/bak_files_`date +%F`.tar.gz

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way