Here are the rsults of my sleuthing efforts thus
far:

I have found that my PCM device shows up in dmesg
as:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1373-8> port 0xd400-0xd43f irq
11 at device 11.0 on pci0
pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4297A AC97 Codec>

Crystal 4237, 4236, 4232, 4231 is what is listed
as suppoted in the handbook.

The first one, AudioPCI ES1373-8, I don't know
why it's there because that was the external
sound card I tried, but it looks like it is not
supported.  The second one is the onboard.  I
made sure to turn off the use of oonboard audio
in the BIOS while I tested the card, and I turned
it back on and physically removed the card from
the computer to return control to the onboard
audio chip.

primus# mixer recsrc
Recording source: mic

This indicates a hardware problem?  I don't
understand.

As best I can see, the indication is that my
particular hardware is not fully supported,
unless Cirrus Logic CS4297A AC97 Codec isn't the
sound chip, or it isn't a Crystal chip...

I have tested it under Windows and it works with
Audacity there, but Windows is giving me fits
with refusing to log out, program lockups, etc.

I have also tried replacing the headset and boom
mic I am using, and the results are identical.
KMIX shows that the mic is recording, and is not
muted.  The on-headset mute is disabled as well.

Is my "not fully supported hardware" conclusion
reasonable?

Thanks to everyone who's been providing
suggestions and pointers!

Shannon