At 11:00 AM -0800 10/28/03, Jason Williams wrote:
Thanks Matthew for your explanation. You answered a lot
of my questions.  Makes sense now really.

Just out of curiosity, why would someone want to use:

RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE?

Is there some type of benefit?
One would think that the best option for production
servers is:

RELENG_4_8

Thanks for your insight.

The "security" or "safe" branches (such as RELENG_4_8) are relatively new. We still have to have tags such as RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE for the release process, and you can use any tag for cvsup. Before the "security" branches existed, we used to encourage people to upgrade to those release-tags instead of upgrading to stable.

There are still times when you might want to cvsup to a
release point.  Of course, once you do the buildworld
for that point, then you'll never see any new changes
until you switch to a different tag for cvsup.

For instance, it might be quite reasonable to cvsup to a
release tag, and once you know that worked you would then
cvsup to some later release tag, or to RELENG_4 ("stable").

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]