----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Loiterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Kevin Stevens'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 3:33 PM
Subject: RE: Ssh missing 'login as' prompt

> Kevin Stevens <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Oct 31, 2003, at 22:25, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> >> Whenever I try to ssh into my machie, it just goes straight to
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] password: by passing the traditional login as: . How can
> >> I turn that back on?
> >
> > Remove the client machine's public key from the server's
> > ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 file for that user id.
> >
> > KeS
>
> That works but only temporarily.  The next time I login, it goes
> directly to the password prompt.  Am I fooling myself?  Is it any
> more secure to get a login as: prompt and then a password prompt as
> compared to just going directly to a password prompt?
>
> - ------------------------------
> Mike Loiterman
> grantADLER
> Tel: 630-302-4944
> Fax: 773-868-0071
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> PGP Key 0xD1B9D18E

What you're describing is normal behavior for ssh. Telnet does the same
thing from a fbsd to fbsd system. It uses the login id on the connecting
terminal as the user to auth against on the remote. I would recommend using
an rsa pass phrase instead of the password if you wish it to be more secure.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration