> point is password protected (on the XP side) so I am prompted for a
> password.  How can I automate that?  Or should I create the share without
> password?  I am not too worried about internal security so the share could
> have no password and that would be fine.

Create a script called whatever.sh, chmod +x 755 whatever.sh and put that
script in a /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

Put the following lines in that script

#!/bin/sh
smbmount username=user password=pass and the rest of the parametars that you
are normaly using when mounting smb partition.

Mind that if your startup script for samba is samba.sh your mounting script
must start with a letter after the letter s otherwise you would mounting a
samba share without smb daemon started.