> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 02:57:41PM -0500, Marco Greene (Home) wrote:
> > Doing some further research into my NetBackup slow restore
> > performance...I have noticed that if I create a lot of small
> > files....it can take about 10 times as long as creating one
> big file
> > of the same size.

Ever install Rainbow 6?  That install could take almost an hour from 1 cd.
If they had zip'ed the files transferred and unzipped, it would have been
much faster.

With lots of small files, you have seek, read, seek, read, etc.  With one
big file, seek, read, read, read...

I am not an expert on this, but it doesn't sound very abnormal.