At 02:59 PM 11/26/2003, Bob Collins wrote:

I found on my Bellsouth DSL at home, I often have intermittent troubles installing from ports with the DSL router being (seeming) flaky during the day. I have found, empirically, during the later evening hours (9:00 or later) the same installs proceed flawlessly.

Bob, I did these at night!

Installing Apache and PostgreSQL are fairly large and would have shown troubles if your were also having intermittent connectivity like I was.

Yep, also I got much of the way through an X11 install [much larger than I'd anticipated, holding off for now] before blowing /usr.

Is there a chance that the limited space on /usr is the trouble with the install process now?

I don't think so:

FreeB df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a   126M    35M    81M    30%    /
/dev/ad0s1f   252M   284K   232M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad1s1e   1.9G   723M   1.1G    40%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1e   252M   3.2M   229M     1%    /var
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
FreeB

And I've got a 2 1/2 GB ide sitting in my desk I bought from a neighbor for $5. My current thinking is that if New Year's Day is uneventful as usual I might open the box and [I think the right procedure is]

-- set it to master
-- set the cdrom to slave
-- install this (3d) hd on the secondary ide channel in front of the cdrom

Then see about having /usr span ad1 - ad2

One thing you could do, is try a simple ftp download to your /usr/ports/distfiles directory to then run the install. It is a bit of a stop gap measure, but at least get you running as you want.

Hmm, looks like I finally have to learn a little about what I'm trying to do. Here's the story. I haven't installed CVS yet, and my iso was sitting around some months before I got it installed [thanks Adrian, wherever you are ;) ].

So I d/l'd from mysql.org the file mysql-max-4.0.16-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386.tar.gz and put that into /usr/ports/distfiles, but tried the make install from /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server/ which I'm sort of guessing has been setup for an older distribution? I got this:

make install

You may use the following build options:

WITH_CHARSET=charset Define the primary built-in charset (latin1).
WITH_XCHARSET=list Define other built-in charsets (may be 'all').
WITH_OPENSSL=yes Enable secure connections.
DB_DIR=directory Set alternate directory for database files
(default is /var/db/mysql).
WITH_LINUXTHREADS=yes Use the linuxthreads pthread library.
OVERWRITE_DB=yes Re-initialize default databases
SKIP_DNS_CHECK=yes Don't run resolveip to do an additional
DNS check before inserting local hostname to
mysql database
(use if your machine has no official DNS entry).
BUILD_STATIC=yes Build a static version of mysqld.
BUILD_OPTIMIZED=yes Add -mcpu=i686 to CFLAGS.

>> mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://mysql.secsup.org/pub/software/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/.
fetch: ftp://mysql.secsup.org/pub/software/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
fetch: http://mysql.tzone.it/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz: Host not found
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/.
fetch: ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>> Attempting to fetch from http://www.softagency.co.jp/MySQL/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/.
^Z
Suspended

IOW a whole bunch of junk seems to amount to my port is older than what I d/l'd. Am I guessing right? Is my best course now following The FreeBSD Diary advice on installing CVS (or is it CVSUP?)?

Marty Landman Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387 Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site Make a Website: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml