On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:57:09 +0100
Simon Barner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> probably wrote:

> Hello Ivan,
>
> > As I'm about to create a kind of a WAN in my area, and I'm having a
> > specific problem, a friend adviced me to install FreeBsd. Problem is
> > that this WAN would be connected to the internet with 1Mbit/s
> > connection, and what I want is that connection to the Internet is
> > shared to other users so that some of them get maximum of 64Kbit/s,
> > some will get 128Kbit/s, and so on. I still want these other
> > computers to be on WAN with 10/100 Mbits, so these limitations must be
> > made on server. Is my problem solvable with FreeBSD (as my friend told
> > me) or not?
>
> Although I don't have too much experience with this matter, it sounds
> like the dummynet(4) traffic shaper, that is part of the ipfw(8)
> firewall might be what you want.
>
> Since I don't know whether you already have experience with FreeBSD, and
> whether it is already installed on your system, here are links to the
> html'ized versions of the man pages mentioned:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dummynet&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+4.9-stable&format=html
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ipfw&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.9-stable
>
> Regards,
>  Simon

I believe the primary question was about ``connection sharing'', so the
answer here would be probably natd(8). The htmlized manpage is just
close to those mentioned by Simon (you still need to read them, to do
the limitations, or shaping, of the traffic).

--
DoubleF
No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the shoulder blades will