John Mills wrote:
[...]
I have an installation I'm comfortable with, between those ports I chose to install, those I chose _not_ to install, and those I went around and added individually. Now I want to install the same set in a number of other systems.
[...]
The machines have 3.5" diskettes, _just_sufficient_ hard drives, netowrk
interface cards, and no CD-ROMs. They hang on a LAN served with DHCP.
[...]
What are my options, and your recommendations?

Assuming all machines have similar installations of FreeBSD, you could just cp -Rp /usr/local to the other machines over the network -- or have it just NFS mounted (no local copy on each machine).
Additionally, you would have to copy missing items from /var/db/pkg to the other machines. And possibly diff/merge some files in /etc (some ports may need additional user accounts, etc).

Greetings,
Martin