On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:49:56 -0800
Chris Pressey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:07:20 -0600
> Vulpes Velox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to create a a bootable CD using freesbie. I ran into
> > problems getting that to work. It failed to boot and the same thing
> > happened upon reburn.
> >
> > I then went to download a the 4.9 install iso to see if it was a
> > possible problem with the image that was created. The iso passed the
> > check sum, but after burning it, it would not boot too.
> >
> > I've managed to verify that it is possible of booting from that drive
> > using a old win98 install disc I have laying around. The install for
> > that comes up fine.
> >
> > I've also tried it at different speeds and have gotten the same
> > results.
> >

> > Any ideas?
>
> What method are you using to burn the CD?  If it's a method that's
> worked for you in the past, it sounds like you might have some flaky
> CD-R's.

% burncd -v -s 4 -f /dev/acd0c data 4.9-i386-disc1.iso fixate
adding type 0x08 file 4.9-i386-disc1.iso size 655680 KB 327840 blocks
next writeable LBA 0
addr = 0 size = 671416320 blocks = 327840
writing from file 4.9-i386-disc1.iso size 655680 KB
written this track 655680 KB (100%) total 655680 KB
fixating CD, please wait..

The brand I have been using has been Memorex for CD-RW discs....

Just tried it with some TDK discs and it works perfectly. So I am guessing there
was something flaky about the Memorex discs I have been messing with.

> (Also note: there's a problem with the current FreeSBIE scripts for
> creating working 4.x FreeSBIEs.  They fail to copy a required file onto
> the CD - and when they do, it still won't detect your hard drives
> without another minor change.  I've posted patches to the freesbie
> mailing list that fix these problems, you might want to apply them
> before trying to make another FreeSBIE.)

Yeah, but if that was the case I should still be able to boot using a burned
copy of 4.9R.