On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:32, David LeCount wrote:
> Hello. I'm swapping my second hard drive for a larger
> one. This is the drive with my / partition on it. Well
> I've made the partitions on the other drive and copied
> my data. I made the partition active, though every
> time I return to fdisk in sysinstall, it doesn't show
> it as active anymore. Lastly, I fixed fstab. Remember
> that it's actually my second hard drive and Lilo is on
> the first, so no need to mess with that. So I put the
> drive where the other one was, but when I booted, it
> said invalid partition. It prompts me for the kernel,
> and I type in 1:ad(1,d)/kernel but it still says
> invalid kernel. The new / partition is ad2s1d when
> it's hooked up as the third drive. I've played with it
> for hours, and can't find a tutorial on doing this
> anywhere. Any help is apppreciated.

I believe FreeBSD likes to find / in an 'a' partition.
You could try renaming ad2s1d to ad2s1a using
disklabel (bsdlabel on 5.x), and updating references
particularly in fstab on the new disk. I believe this is
probably possible without interfering with the file
systems and data so long as you don't mess with the
partition sizes and offsets but only change the names.
(Do it with all ad2s1 partitions unmounted.)

I think you would have had difficulty creating another
'a' partition using sysinstall while one is already visible
somewhere in the disk system. But you could have
pre-created partitions using disklabel before running
sysinstall, which would then find and offer those partitions.

Use these suggestions with caution, there should be
people out there more knowledgable in regard to disk
organisation than myself.

Malcolm