On Sunday 25 January 2004 14:42, Stephen Martin wrote:
> Geert,
>
> I was having this specific problem when trying to use mplayer. What I did
> was change the "Autosuspend if idle for" setting. It can be found in
> Control Center -> Sounds & Multimedia -> Sound System -> aRTs tab (feels
> vaguely like describing a windows problem :). I set mine at 5 seconds.
> Your's will of coarse depend.
>
> Stephen L. Martin

That looks like the solution!  :-)

Unfortunately, when I click Ok, KDE wants to restart the Arts daemon, and
then, tragically, it complains dat /dev/dsp is busy...  I think artsd just
doesn't "free" the device when it is killed manually, and therefore it won't
restart either.  But I'll try it again on my next reboot, I think this may
solve the problem!

Thanks!

GH