Bjorn Eikeland wrote:

På Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:10:25 +0300, skrev Marwan Sultan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello everyone,

I have FreeBSD 4.8-R as a NATd ipfw enable behind a DSL router.
The router calling the internet and giving the connection 2the bsd box.
BSD box does the rest for my LAN.

I redirect the port 22 from the router to my FreeBSD LAN box. 192.168.1.1

The problem is DSL each time calls the internet has a new 'real IP'
so I cannot know the ip IF im at home, then i cannot access the box from
outside the LAN.

   Question is:
   Is there a way to configure the FreeBSD box to send an auto email for
   me each time the router has a new 'real IP' ?

For sure by somehow the BSD box knows about the new ip for router.

Thank you very much in advance.

-- Marwan Sultan

Why send a email, when you can go to www.no-ip.com and register yourself a dynamic dns entry, and thus you can alwaus access your freeBSD box using marwan.no-ip.com or something similar. After registering you just need to install a daemon that automatically updates the ddns every now and then. I use this for the dial up gateway at home so I can check up on now the box is holding up with in its harsh enviornment (i.e. my brothers) - and it works great.

hth

I thought that too at first. But then I realised - hopefully correctly - that it's his dsl router that gets the dynamic ip address, not the freebsd box. Presumably, the router has a static 192.168.1.x address facing the LAN and the freebsd box uses this as its gateway. I doubt you can install a daemon on the router.

And, if this is right, I can't see how the freebsd machine would know what ip address had been allocated to the external pppoe or pppoa interface of the router.

If I'm setting up a network with this type of topology, I always ask the isp for a small static ip address range.

PWR.