Mike wrote:

that it's his dsl router that gets the dynamic ip address, not the
freebsd box. Presumably, the router has a static 192.168.1.x address
facing the LAN and the freebsd box uses this as its gateway. I doubt

you

can install a daemon on the router.

The deamon has ways to find out its external ip, so don't worry about
installing the daemon on the router :)

Mike

It does? How? The daemon will be running on the Freebsd machine, which does not have the external ip address. I use dynamic dns services here and there but so far as I know they all require a daemon running on the machine which actually has the relevant dynamic address.

This is drifting slightly off-topic, but I'm interested to know.

PWR.