> Dear Sirs,
> Thank you for Giving FreeBSD  for free.
> Basically I would like to ask you about a problem I have with the sound hardware
> which I wasn't able to resolve. And I also have some suggestions to make!
>
> After Installation when writing #startx, at the prompt KDE loads and I get a message
> than sound driver /dev/pcm couldn't be found. SuSE and Redhat both recognize my
> sound driver as 82801DB AC'97. Further more alot of stuff like xmms, and other
> applications were not installed although I checked them to be installed when I was
> asked. The funny thing is that those applications exist in /usr/.../ports.
>
> 1:How can I configure my sound device?

Probably you still need to make a kernel config file
and add    device   pcm     to it and build a new kernel.
Make a copy of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC in the same directory
  example   NEWCONFFILE .
Check in LINT in that same directory for syntax.
Add   the   device  pcm   line  (minus initial '#' if any
Build kernel either by the old way
  config  NEWCONFFILE
  cd ../../compile
  make depend
  make
  make install
You might want to make a copy of the current kernel file
  before doing the make install, just in case.
  It lives in either /kernel   or  /boot/kernel   depending on which
  version of FreeBSD you are using.

> Suggestions:
> 1: It would be really attractive if the installation of FreeBSD was as easy and
> comfortable(visual stuff) as SuSE's.
> 2: It would be nice if kdm or xdm or something was installed and needen't have to be
> configured after installation. For instance during the installation the user should
> be asked if he would like to have xdm or kdm installed ...

But, probably 1/2 to 2/3 of those running FreeBSD servers don't want those
things.   So, ???    FreeBSD is heavily used as a server OS - probably
more so than as a desktop.    Servers, some of which run without even
a monitor hooked up, do not need nice looking desktop stuff.   So, since
it is is so easy to add if you want, it is better to start with just
what everyone needs and then let everyone add the other stuff themselves.

////jerry