In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            D J Hawkey Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: True or False: Setting CPUTYPE to the lowest target CPU ("p2") in
: a build machine's make.conf will cripple the performance of target
: machines with higher CPUs ("p3", "p4", "i586", "i686", etc.).

False.  It might have a minor impact on performance, but not a major
one.  At least in my experience.  Minor here means < 10% for something
like the world stone.  Cripple to me implies > 25%.

: If "True", for optimized code across all machines, the code should
: just be built on each machine, right?

That would give slightly better performance.  However, it can be more
pain than it is worth if the number of machine types is high.

Warner